Saturday, January 29, 2011

New moms get their own word

A recent post on the NY Times motherlode blog includes the word "Neomamma," to describe the phenomenon that is the brand-new mom. Melissa Sher, founder of the website mammalingo, writes:


You know who doesn’t have their own dictionary entry? New moms. It’s bold, but I’m going to take it upon myself to speak for every new mom ever to say that we deserve a word of our own. We want something to describe being a first-time, clueless new mother who doesn’t know what she’s doing, doesn’t yet have maternal instinct (but thinks she’s supposed to) and is still bleeding and wearing maternity clothes. Oh, and did I forget to mention that she’s a wee bit tired? I don’t want to do your work for you, but I was thinking she could be called a “neomamma.” 


To read the rest of the post, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment